Friday, October 24, 2014

For Liam

Happy Aloha Friday! Liam's baby play quilt is finally finished! Yay! It was such a nice project. I really wanted to take my time on it. Since there was no pressing deadline for it - no one waiting for it - I could really take my time and enjoy the process. Machine quilting. Hand quilting. Hand stitching the binding. Embroidering the label. All of it. It was such a wonderful project to work on during Liam's nap times or in the evenings. In the future I want to be able to take time to enjoy more of the process! I blogged about the progress of this quilt here








As I've stated in the past - since I was a child I have always been drawn to the idea of quilting. Playing with fabric and thread. There is something so therapeutic about it. Learning how to sew these past couple of years has really brought a richness to my life. Along with crochet blankets for babies, I am now able to make quilts and other patchwork projects for loved ones. But there is something about sewing for your own child. Something about creating something for them that will be used as they grow. That will surround them in the love that you have for them. Sigh. I'm so grateful that I am able to give to my child in this way. I hope that when he looks back at his handmade goods he feels how much he was loved. 

Did having children change the way that you craft? 


4 comments:

  1. A sweet quilt for a sweet baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. all i know is my first babe has a handsewn quilt... i didn't have a sewing machine then... my second and third have handmade quilts.. but it is a good thing i had a machine by then. i don't think i would have had the time to hand quilt after i had a baby in arms. beautiful blog. i just discovered you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Thanks for stopping by. =) Handmade is so wonderful. It just carries so many good feelings and love and wishes. Your children were so blessed! I am learning a bit about trying to sew with a baby. I usually do hand stitching while I sit next to him while he plays in his little reclining chair. Children are a wonder though. =)

      Delete